Monday, April 16, 2012

A Next Gen Handheld for Spring

So here I am once again, attempting to get back into a schedule of posting.  I don't think I'll set such ambitious goals as I did before, but instead I'll free form it;  pposting when I want to rather than when I think I should.  In any case, it's going to be good to get back to writing and forcing my opinions onto the interwebs.

For Christmas, I asked for a PSP.  Lo and behold, I got a PSP and a bunch of games, including my favorite game ever: Final Fantasy Tactics.  After putting about 100+ hours into FFT and over 50 some into the collection of other games that I gathered I realized that my PSP was kind of a terrible choice since the PSVita was just around the corner.  Come February I was staunchly against getting one as the articles piled up praising it's hardware and good-looking launch library.  I started reading the news feeds and buffing up on PSVita until my brain had re-wried itself into thinking that it was the most amazing device ever created...ever.

Of course at this point I was stuck with my PSP.  Flash forward to today, a few months later, and I'm sitting here with a PSVita while my PSP is in some god-forsaken pile in the back of Gamestop.  Today I just want to analyze the PSVita on an overview level, but as I post more I'll get into the games.

The system itself is designed to reflect the PSP, the thing looks pretty much exactly the same.  Sure the screen is better on the PSVita, but the layout is all the same.  Of course, that's not what draws people to the device and is mainly to create some consistency between the once users of the PSP and the now users of the PSVita.  One thing that is nice about the new design is the absence of the UMD drive.  That thing was far too sensitive.  Now I can gingerly set my PSVita down on a table without threatening it's vital innards.

Obviously the main gimmick with the Vita is the dual touch screens.  While this may seem like it's complete overkill, it's only because it really is.  Okay, that's a bit harsh, but it really doesn't come in handy all that often; many of the launch games could be played without the functionality, and it seems that you oftentimes hit the back touch pad when you're not meaning to.  It's annoying, but it does create some neat effects especially when combined with the motion control.  One that really caught my interest, for whatever reason, is picking up the tee in Hot Shots Golf.  What you have to do is pinch the system like you were picking up the tee and move the character to the right or left to move where you're shooting from.  It's not vital, but it's a neat way to utilize the resources that the Vita has to offer.  The responsiveness of both screens is excellent, and the front screen is used more often than the back.  Although it seems pretty gimmicky, the touch screen idea for the PSVita was done really well and adds a new level to your games.

Besides the touch screens, there are also two more new additions to the Vita from the PSP.  Two cameras allow for pictures and video to be taken, shared, and stored.  One of the cameras is on the back, while the other is on the front.  Neither camera should replace your actual digital camera, but they can be useful additions when you're playing a game like Little Deviants.  For one of the mini games there you point the Vita in whatever direction and shoot at enemies.  Wherever the device is facing is being captured by the camera so that your backdrop is whatever you want it to be rather than being game-defined.  The system really could have gone without these two cameras, but they can be a fun addition.

So with the absence of a UMD drive, we're left with tiny little carts to use as games.  First off, I'm in shock that Sony is actually using a cartridge as opposed to some disc technology.  Second, holy hell are these things small!  Sony sells some cases for them, but even then I can see little kids losing them left and right.  Ditto for the memory cards.  Also, don't lose anything for the system...Sony's using proprietary equipment for everything and it's mother.  No third party bullshit here; Mad Catz will just have to churn that garbage out for the 3DS.

I may have forgotten to put in some details here, like the HD resolution and the PS Store, but those aren't what make this a unique system...and that's just what it is: unique.  What other system can you name that has two touch screens, two cameras, and motion control?  Even though all of it could be chalked up to gimmicks, because who really needs anything other than a controller and a screen in the first place, but all of those elements make for the most unique and gaming experience that I've had on a handheld in many years.  Let's just hope that the system's uniqueness doesn't take it down the path of the Virtual Boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment