Friday, May 18, 2012

Dragon Age

I was wrapped up in Dragon Age back when the first game came out.  I was later dazzled by the expansion and the release of the second game.  If you don't know, Dragon Age is an EA/BioWare release that came out around the same time as Mass Effect, and both games are similar in their game play.

The idea is that you're recruited by a member of the organization known as the Grey Wardens, the protectors of the land against the Darkspawn.  Once you're initiated you enter right into the ongoing war.  Between fending off the Darkspawn and saving your land from a devastating civil war, your character is kept busy with his duties as a Warden.

There are three base classes to choose from, Warrior, Rogue, and Mage.  All three have a great number of skills and abilities to choose from, and the array of characters that you get allows you to put together a dream team party and swap out when you need to.  I don't want to get too in-depth with the rest of the game, I'm more concerned with talking about the game play. 

The way the game plays is akin to the old PC game Baldur's Gate, or even Myth.  You take control of all four characters in your party at the same time and give them all unique orders to defeat your enemies.  It's a combination of real-time strategy and role-playing game play that really lets you think about your fights before you act.  It's a really addictive way to play an RPG.

Why am I bringing this up when none of these games are new or really that exciting right now?  Baldur's Gate is being released for the iPad.  I'm trying to patiently await the game, but I think that I'm going to need a refresher from the PC version before I get to that point.  Summer 2012 may seem like just a short leap from today, but if you're a fan of Baldur's Gate, I know you're itching just as much as me to get to this new helping of strategy, tactical-RPG fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment