Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Motorstorm RC

Free games can be hit and miss, especially on mobile devices.  Take for instance all of the crap apps and "games" that get released for the various iDevices.  It's all just terrible.  Every once in a blue moon, however, you'll find that one free game that's actually worth downloading.  I have found that game for this moon cycle, and it's Motorstorm RC on the PS Vita.

Yeah, powered by Scion.
This game was released on the PS3 and later came to the PS Vita in March for free.  I snatched it up off the PS Store on day one, as I had basically just gotten the system and was looking for more games to experience.  At first I scoffed at it and balked at the controls.  Later, after I got more used to them, I began to enjoy the game.

Reminds me of the Micro Machines games.
The concept isn't much different than your normal racer, other than you're racing an RC car instead of a real car.  The 16 tracks are scaled down to fit the size of the cars, and each one has it's own flavor, which keeps the game fresh as you play the four different game modes.  To keep the game as real as possible, the controls are set in such a way that it makes you feel like you are actually controlling the car; like you're using the remote that controls it rather than playing a game with a controller.

The graphics are a bit lackluster, but since it's free, I can't really complain.  The same could be said of the sound.  There is a decent array of cars to unlock and choose from, and even some online leaderboards to compete against.  Compared to other free games out there for the Vita, like Montezuma Blitz, this is actually what you would expect from a video game.  I would recommend this any day of the week; like today...I'm recommending it today.

See?  Just like Micro Machines on the NES.

No comments:

Post a Comment