Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Day One: Fruit Ninja and Fallout: New Vegas

Until today I was suspicious that the Kinect wouldn't live up to the expectations that motion gaming could be the path to the next generation of consoles, but my state of mind has been altered...by fruit.  When I viewed the initial previews for Fruit Ninja Kinect on my dashboard, all it did was make me crave vitamin C, but as I stand here playing it I've been refreshed.  It's as if the combined power of all of the spattered fruit juices was being beamed directly into my body.  If that's a little too strange, suffice to say that the game is excellent.  Even though my dog conveniently pops on-screen just as a bomb enters the background and his swishing tail forces an explosion, I have to say that this is definitely a step in the right direction.

I'm reminded of my excitement over the original Kinect games, such as Fighters Uncaged, as well as my disappointment that your character was some kind of terrible karate one-liner reject.  Gone is the lag from your first move to your next and the awkward positioning.  Fruit Ninja is responsive, exciting, and fun.  I can already see some of the future games that will now inhabit this former niche device:

Halo Kinect
Final Fantasy 14 Kinect
Left 4 Dead Kinect

Okay, so maybe those are wishful thoughts, but a man can dream can't he?  In any case, my point is that the Kinect was almost lifeless before a game like Fruit Ninja came along and exploded onto the scene in a giant mess of fruit pulp.  Now, while it's in this awakened state, I feel like I can anticipate titles from it that will blow my mind.  Who would have thought that super fruits are not only super for humans, but also for motion gaming devices?  Maybe someone should inform Sony.


Today's post is going to start a long and hopefully eventful journey through Fallout: New Vegas seen through the eyes of the Courier.  But first, a few items that I've always found humorous, and yes frustrating, while playing through the wasteland.  Why is it that bullet casings and ammo weigh nothing, yet most of the regenerative items weigh at least a pound, besides stimpaks of course?  For instance, how exactly does a 16 or 20 ounce glass bottle of Sunset Sarsaparilla weigh a pound?  I guess I'm taking for granted that it's a relatively "normal" size of soda container.  Maybe it's just that our hero carries around one or two liters of soda for kicks.  That would make sense as to why when I have 53 bottles of the stuff my character's breaking his back even trying to carry his bobby pins.

My last thought for the day has to do with the radio, not only in New Vegas but also in Fallout 3.  Do the citizens of the wasteland not realize that the same songs and news stories are being repeated?  Hell, if I lived in the Capital Wasteland, Three Dog would've been dead within a month.  Don't even get me started on Mr. New Vegas, his songs only upped the ante on suckage.  If I hear something along the lines of "my spurs go jingle jangle jingle" one more time, I'm going to blow a fucking gasket.  Yes, I do realize that you can turn the radio off or switch between stations, but how else am I going to hear of my exploits?  I want to know what the people think of me murdering the King in cold blood because I used my favor to get caps rather than have him stop messing with the NCR.  Who doesn't want self-gratification like that?

No comments:

Post a Comment